Outsourcing is when you hire someone to work on components of your business for you.
If you have made it this far then I have to congratulate you because you have made it further than most and have gone through all the serious work. At this point you will have a strong working knowledge of all the components of the business and how they all fit together.
There is an expression about being a jack of all trades and a master of none which is where outsourcing comes in.
What want to do is hire a specialist now or someone that can run the parts of our business better than we can ourselves.
I’ve heard leaders say that their business increased when they let others run it for them and gave them as much freedom as was possible. You want people to be in their element and not feel restrictive.
Only be the boss when its necessary.
It will become obvious there are many components that have to be working in order for it to meet its greatest potential.
“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts” -Aristotle
This means that a team will perform better as a unit than would the players acting as individuals. You can apply this philosophy to any machine because it won’t work unless all the components are assembled.
With an understanding of each part we can perfect it. A specialist is someone who is talented at a specific component. Now as I am currently working on this project solo I find myself consistently seeking help and advice. I am reading articles and watching instructional videos and I spend my money where I think I will gain knowledge. I then use that to come back here and assemble the parts and gain a working understanding of how everything fits together.
This is how I approach it first hand and use resources to guide me.
But now, after gaining an intimate working understanding and practical application, what happens if I wish to replicate this process. Considering I have the final designs and assembly instructions I’ve created for myself and have already done a walk through, I can now proceed about assembling the pieces or I can outsource each component. I will save time and allow myself to use that available time to manage the greater picture of where I need to go to achieve my goals.
Most of your progress will come down to work flow. Be aware of how much time you are spending on a task. Just get it done and don’t look back. You will perfect and revise along the way. Don’t get tripped up over analyzing a situation. Do your best and keep going. But if your best isn’t enough then you need that specialist.
When you want to free up time hire someone to complete a task for you.
- Someone is more talented than you. be honest. You can spend years perfecting a craft. If you recognize someone can do it better than you it will be advantageous to have them work on your project. Their expertise will show.
- Eventually your business will reach a plateau. You are going to have to make a decision as to whether you are content at the stage you have reached or whether you wish to grow your business. You will reach a point where you will not be able to perform all the duties on your own. This is when its time to hire someone else to do the job for you or figure out how to automate components.
- You need something done fast. Like it should’ve been finished yesterday. Just get it done!
Three ways to outsource:
- You can pay for services outright. Sometimes its best to just spend the money on a quality sales video. Maybe you need a stylish design. professionalism is worth the money.
- You can find a volunteer or intern. often people are happy to get involved and work on their skills. development is never ending so always look for ways to improve.
- You can form a partnership. anything can foster when you form a partnership. This is the best of both worlds.
My normal way of learning is finding someone to teach me what I want to learn and then I try and master that craft intensely. I like to have intimate working knowledge before I outsource to someone. I will then have some knowledge of how it can be done and I can gauge its effectiveness. Grow on your own until you reach that point where its time to outsource.
Outsourcing to someone else will enable me to streamline my workflow and free up my personal time so that I can focus on something else.
So to continue growing you can learn yourself and then outsource once you have a general understanding.
I may even decide to outsource this article and have someone edit it for me